Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Humbling Confession



So today Monk got into the ball pit and threw out the balls. They were all over the floor so I asked him to pick them up. He came up with excuse after excuse.

-I don't know how.
-I don't want to.
-I'm too tired.

Since he wouldn't do it I told him he could either pick up the balls or go to bed since he was so sleepy. Since he still wouldn't I followed through and picked him up and put him to bed and yelled at him to stay put. As soon as I closed the door he said he had to use the bathroom. SO frustrating! That's always what he says and irritates me so I told him he could stay put. After screaming he had to go for a couple more minutes my patience was up so I yelled at him to just go potty and come back.

He did, I made him go back to bed and a few minutes later he had calmed down enough to clean up his mess and all was well.

After lunch he told me his pants were wet and I asked him why.

"I had to pee and wasn't fast enough and you were yelling."
"Oh."

Yeah I felt bad. Not so much because I made him wait to go potty because he always uses that as an excuse when he's in time out, but more because I yelled at him and I remember in my family classes at school this quote, "Once you yell, you are the one that's wrong." So I'm going to try harder to be calmer with them.

But it's really hard sometimes...

2 comments:

  1. I think we all do this at times! It's a constant battle within ourselves. For some reason if I yell I feel like the point is going to get across. I agree with that quote, I always feel so bad after I yell at anyone. It's a blessing that we can go on and keep trying and that Heavenly Father is so forgiving and so are our children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all do it. I yell, hubs yells. You just lose your patience sometimes. I know Kyndra always makes excuses not to do things like pick up stuff or eat!

    ReplyDelete