Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Health Nuts


My husband is a member of the Chamber of Commerce in our little town, so whenever they have an event, he signs us up. This time around it's a 12 Week Health Contest. We went to one of the three gyms and got stats for our weight, BMI and fat percentage. Then we're told how much weight we have to lose to get to our ideal body fat. In the 12 weeks, we get points according to workouts, reaching our goals and spending money at local businesses.

So D and I went over to get weighed. I won't share his stats but I was a little surprised by mine. I normally weigh about 126 but since their scale is 4lbs off, it put me at 122lbs. Then they subtracted two lbs for clothes, which is pretty generous. So my starting weight is 120lbs. I feel like I should put that in "quotations". To be at my goal fat percentage for my height, gender and build (they put athletic or regular), I need to lose 3lbs so I can have 23% body fat.

Three lbs will be easy to lose in 3 months. Mostly I just wanted to be healthier. We're not much for veggies and I have a love affair with chocolate. So I decided to put us on Weight Watchers. It's a good diet because it's more about portion control and once we lose a certain amount it won't let us keep losing. Last time I weighed 117 was before I got pregnant with Cole and I got too many "you're too skinny" and "your cheeks are gaunt" comments. Apparently skinny is not a good look on me. I decided to adjust my diet so I count points during the week but don't pay much attention during the weekend. Which I really love because I love to eat.

This has caused a little stress in my marriage because D gets 35 points a day. 35! I get 20. So basically he doesn't have to do too much counting and what he has to eat at lunch is nearly my entire daily allotment. Grrr... But D and I have decided to try and do little video workouts together for the spirit of the competition. I'm hoping there are some fabulous prizes for this thing that makes all the cookies I'm giving up worth it!

3 comments:

  1. I hope you guys win!! You'll def reach your goal and I hope you guys have some fun doing it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, what I would do to be 117 lbs! That's not even a reasonable goal for me at this point. You can totally do it though! And you will look great. I think when people make comments such as, "you're too skinny," they're either from a different generation or are jealous. So burn baby burn those calories! Can't wait to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are my height right? I am a quarter inch shy of being 5'3. When I lose weight my arms and legs get too skinny. Maybe you have a weight distribution issue like I do!

    ReplyDelete