Monday, November 22, 2010

Parenthood is defined as...

Loving someone so fiercely who sometimes (often) makes your life HARD. Parenting is not easy. And I don't care if someone takes offense to my little definition up there. You're lying to yourself if having a child doesn't make your life harder. Sweeter, yes. Harder, most definitely. It's so amazing that I love my little boys fiercely, desperately and so fully even though there are days like today where even my body hurts.

First, they woke up too early this morning and Monk was cranky from the get go. He begged me over and over for a movie. So I let him watch one then I put the two of them in the bath since I knew I wanted to get their pictures taken. Washing his hair is awful! He screams and cries so loudly! I didn't even get soap in his eyes. That took a while and finally I had enough of his whining. Although I did teach him the difference between his "monk voice" and his "whining voice". We also practiced some animal voices.

I laid Bruiser down who went right to sleep but Monk was NOT having it. I laid down with him for a few minutes because I was tired and I think the rest of the day would have been easier if I had stayed long enough for him to fall asleep. I just don't like to do that because it's a terrible habit to get into.

He's going through a rough phase where he doesn't want to listen. He just wants to go off and do what (or have Mommy do) whatever he wants. He's also outgrowing naps but still needs them. AUGH.


A bit later we went to get our pictures taken at Sears. I brought my dad and my favorite CJ along thinking that it would be fun and easy. It was not either of those things. Monk threw a fit the entire time beforehand and was in one of those contrary moods. "Oh Monk, you're so handsome." "I NOT SO HANDSOME!" He yelled about everything. The picture ladies worked miracles because she had him laughing so loud and giggling in no time and I did get ONE, maybe two good shots out of the whole thing. After that he was back to being yelling. The three of us adults were exhausted by the time we were finally finished. CJ is second guessing having children I think...

So a million fits later, I pick up my husband who was out running errands and hanging out with his best friend. Maybe I cried a little because the day was just so HARD HARD HARD HARD HARD. But he gave me my birthday present nearly 3 weeks early and they are the most comfortable and soft pair of silk jammies from Victorias Secret ever! I don't even care that he spent an ungodly amount on them. Then he bought me ice cream. The boys fell asleep in their car seats and we were home where I could take a long hot shower to work the knots in my shoulders out from the stress, shave my legs so I didn't mar my new jammies with bristly legs and be luxuriously comfortable. Sigh.

And even though today kind of sucked and was HARD HARD HARD, I keep thinking about how when I laid down with Monk he said, "I like you Momma. I like you beautiful eyes." And it's no wonder I'm not mad at him and that I love him as much as I do. Maybe tomorrow will be wonderful :)

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet post, Jen. I so, so SO know how you feel. It seems that Pierson and Hyrum are birds of a feather. Kids really do make life harder, but there really is nothing like parenting in the whole world. I've had so many days like the one you described, and yet, at the end of the day, when the say something as sweet as Pierson said to you, all those horrible moments seem to melt away. Thanks for your post. I really enjoyed reading it and am reminded that I need to blog more. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parenting can be hard and toddlers sure can be frustrating!! But then they give us those moments where it just melts our hearts.

    And way to get pampered by hubs!

    ReplyDelete