Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Being a Woman- I never noticed until now...

In my family and religion, women have always been honored. In our church, a man wont' be called into a position with a lot of responsibility (such as the Bishopric) without the permission/ support of his wife. My husband lets me know almost daily how much he appreciates what I do with our home and family and that he recognizes how hard I work and that it's something only I could do. My dad was always the same with my mother.

So growing up and hearing about women's rights or how they still aren't treated the same even today, it never stuck with me. I figured that those old times were past. I'm a strong woman. Surely those things wouldn't happen to someone like me. But lately, fully entering the grown up world, I've noticed that that is not always the case.

When my husband and I first came to look at this house, the people showing it TOTALLY ignored me. Until it came to the kitchen and what kind of sink it had. Joke was on them, D was more interested in that than I was. Then there was our mortgage broker who never did really talk to me. Every bit of information, every question was directed at my husband.

Then today, I met with our landlord to return our keys and he tried to bully me and take advantage of me. He told me to agree to his terms or he'd find more things to charge me. He told me I needed to just agree to it already because my little boy was hot and hungry. Now I know better, having been a property manager and in the business for the last six years. So I know what is a legal charge and what's not. But then! After having come to an agreement about touch up paint, he said that I needed to agree to it or he'd charge me more, I told him that wasn't honest. Then he told me I was suspicious and that I wasn't honest.

You might be wondering what that little story has to do with being a woman. Well, my husband called later to clarify a few things and the landlords told my husband that I kept threatening a lawsuit (did not, small claims is a pain) AND they treated D totally differently. They were pleasant and wanted to try and work with him. They didn't treat me like that at all. Calling me dishonest and trying to pressure by making insinuations about my baby? That would ONLY happen to a woman.

Now I'm not quick to jump on any women's lib bandwagons. So I don't go arounding calling foul or throwing tantrums every time something happens to not go my way. But I was very angry and in uncharted territory. How am I supposed to be a strong woman when I have to rely on my husband so much? How do I make certain people (because it's not everyone) take me seriously? I don't know the answers to that. There may not be a solution. D agrees with me though and hates it when I get treated that way. He always tries and makes them listen to me or tells them that they need to get my opinion first. I love that about him. They say behind every good man is a good woman. I'm also willing to say that behind every strong woman is a strong man.

So as far as those landlords go, I'll just wait to see if they try and pull anything. And while I don't threaten to sue people left and right, I sure won't hesitate if they try and do something wrong. It is my money afterall.

All in all, because this a long blog, I don't wan to be a man. I'm happy being a woman. Even a woman who is a stay at home mom. I find a lot of strength and there are lots of lessons in that. I'm very blessed with these men in my life. From that big one who is a bed hog to that little one who is a bed hog. And to that even smaller one who kicked me for a good half hour this morning and will probably ALSO be a bed hog.

3 comments:

  1. Do some people think that women just don't know how to handle themselves or know certain things? Geez. Sorry you had to put up with the landlord being a jerk. And everybody else too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up Jen! I definately know what you are talking about with all that. Whenever we had problems with the people at our apartment complex they were much nicer to Travis than me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell D thanks for the compliment! I hear a lot of negative comments about redheads so tell him that brightened my day! :)

    ReplyDelete