Saturday, August 15, 2009

Reassessing the Placental Location

Does anyone know what that means, exactly? We had our 6 month doctor's appointment yesterday and everything went great. Weight-good. Blood pressure-good. Baby's heartbeat-good. So far I've gained 12 pounds (since I started going to the doc anyway, haha) and I'm measuring at 23cm which is perfect.

I have to go in and get my gestational diabetes test done in about a week and a half and at 28 weeks they want me to go in for another ultrasound. They want to "reassess my Placental Location". They said that during my 20 week ultrasound the placenta was 2 cm away from the uterus and usually they want it to be less than one. If it doesn't fix itself I could have some "bleeding during labor", but that was all that they would tell me.

The doctor skirted around my 'what if' questions and therefore couldn't really explain much about the reassessment. I imagine a lot of moms would freak out at the 'what if'. It's just a normal reaction question. I'm not really worried about anything, because they noticed it a month ago and I won't get it rechecked for another month. Obviously it's not too big a deal, especially at this point.

Really all I know is that the placenta and uterus are attached. As the uterus moves up, obviously, the placenta moves up too. All I can figure is that my placenta hadn't moved up as fast as my uterus as of last month anyway.

But has anyone else ever had their placental location reassessed? What a mouthful. Google isn't too helpful.

P went to my appointment with D and me and was very good, uh, very loud. But that's just how he is. His face was so funny listening to the heartbeat. Then he tried lifting up everyone else's shirt to see their bellies.

Oh, but the baby is kicking around more and my mother in law felt him squirm. I'm absolutely delighted at the additional movement. I love feeling him playing around in there. Soon the hiccups will come! But he definitely has his own personality and I love him. I'm getting more and more excited for December to roll around. So is D, but that's probably because I seem to be getting pretty darn cranky...

2 comments:

  1. Do you mean 2 cm from the cervix?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Placenta previa is when the placenta is covering the cervix. Perhaps your placenta is low lying and hasn't moved up as much as they like so they want to keep an eye on it. Your dr should be explaining things to you and it's unacceptable that he isn't.

    If the placenta is too low when it comes time to deliver they'll prolly want to do a csection as it would be much safer than a vaginal delivery. I hope that it does move!!

    ReplyDelete