Sunday, May 17, 2009

P's first ER trip

So I realize I'm a pretty protective mother. So I make a valiant effort to be laid back or else I can't enjoy my son and will spend all our time together worrying. So when this first happened: I thought, "Oh, that looks pretty bad. But he's acting normally with no fever so I'll just keep an eye on it." It's a bad picture but you get the general idea of this weird rash. Anyway, he was sitting in a high chair at a restaurant so I thought maybe they washed it with a harsh chemical and it was bothering him so I washed off his arm and it seemed to go away pretty well.

So we got home and I put my little guy to bed for a nap and when he woke up the rash had spread all over his arms and legs and on his face in full force. I definitely did not like that it spread so fast so I called Dustin and told him we were taking P to the ER. Just in case. P wasn't acting funny and still didn't have a fever, but it didn't sit right with me that these huge welts were wreaking havoc on his perfect skin. So I washed his skin again with a wet wipe and off we went.
You know that little booger was a charming and sweet and smiley and of course the rash went away waiting for the doctor. All of it. Turns out though that the doctor thought that it was HIVES. I've never seen them before so who knew? Better safe than sorry I guess. And NO, I did not change laundry detergent, use a new soap, etc etc. All that I can think of is maybe cleaners from the high chair. It was one of the old ones with plastic backing. I don't use harsh cleaners so it would be new. Anyway, the doctor had a horrible bedside manner with children, but P didn't cry and he got stickers and a stuffed dog (which he mimicked barking until the nurse came in and he switched to it mooing. I think he does it on purpose to get me.) And he ate crackers the whole time. So all is well, they haven't returned, and we all had a little adventure.

Waiting with his book. Pretending to be Afflicted
Trying to wrestle with Daddy (who looks so handsome)

2 comments:

  1. Cute pics! That rash definitely looks weird. I don't think it looks like hives but that's just me. Could be a reaction to a cleaner. Hopefully it stays away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the only mother I know that takes pictures in the ER. :) I hope that the rash stays away. Piercin is lucky to have a protective mother like you!

    ReplyDelete